Friday, August 20, 2010

Queen of Puddings

I'm in the middle of another murder mystery (P.D. James, The Private Patient). I love mysteries anyway but find myself gravitating to the British ones (Reginald Hill, Ruth Rendell, Dick Francis) - and P.D. James fits right in.

In my reading, I found this exchange:
They settled themselves round the table. Looking at Kate, Dalgliesh asked, 'Are you comfortable at the B & B? You've had a meal?

'Very comfortable, thank you, sir. Mrs. Shepherd did us well. Home-made soup, fish pie and - what was that sweet, Sergeant? You know about food.'

'Queen of puddings, ma'am.'

Queen of puddings?

Searching yielded a tempting recipe from a site called Traditional British Puddings. It sounds like you'd first make a custard using milk, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, caster sugar, and eggs. Top that with melted raspberry jam. And finally top that with a meringue.

Doesn't that sound delicious? I think I might even have all those ingredients! It's our wedding anniversary today - perhaps I'll make this for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment