Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grasmere Gingerbread

I went to LucyCooks a couple of weeks ago. A Taste of Cumbria was the theme for the day's workshop and I was pretty excited about going. I love learning more about local foods and recipes and was curious, and a bit nervous, about how the day would go.

Verdict: it was fun. I'd definitely do it again, especially if my mom or one of my friends come to visit. It was a nice way to spend the day.

A couple of disappointments:
1) We made Westmorland Tattie Hot Pot (which I've made before). Our recipe also called for black pudding and I already know that Dave doesn't care for that so it wasn't going to go over well when I brought my creations home. It didn't.
2) We didn't actually measure out any ingredients. Sounds silly but I was looking forward to figuring out how to use the scale and getting some other measurement hints. Everything was already measured out for us.
3) This is the last grumble. I lost my favorite hooded jacket. It was new and, unlike most of my dark drab clothes, a bright blue-green color. But I took it off, laid it over some chairs and forgot about it. When the day was over, it was left behind. I emailed (no response); I drove out there two days later and asked for it - not there. I asked them to take down my name and number and description of the jacket but I got the feeling it wouldn't help. It didn't.

Anyway. Grasmere Gingerbread was our treat and this is the recipe.

Makes 8 2x4 inch bars

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Note: We used baking parchment to line the 8 inch square pan; first time I've used this. It works really well so I'll have to take a look for it in the grocery store.

Ingredients:
225g plain flour
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp ground ginger
112g brown sugar
112g butter
1 tbsp golden syrup

1. Prep
Preheat oven 170°C
Let the butter soften a bit.
Line an 8 inch square pan with baking parchment (or lightly grease).

2. Prep
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and ginger.
Blend in the butter with your fingers until the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
Add the sugar and golden syrup and continue to blend with your fingers. Mixture should still be quite crumbly.

3. Prep
Spoon two thirds of the mixture into the pan and press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Really flatten it.
Evenly sprinkle the rest of the mixture on top.

4. Oven
Bake for 50 minutes.

5. When cool, cut into 2x4 inch bars. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment