Monday, February 15, 2010

Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry

The other day I needed something different. Very different. Curry is big in the UK so I thought I'd try it. This recipe is from the BBC GoodFood website (the source of many of the recipes I try) and is really excellent. I was a bit nervous because it calls for coconut milk and I'm not a big fan of coconut. My worries were groundless. I think the red lentils are meant to thicken the sauce but next time I should either simmer longer or add more lentils. This is very quick, very easy, comfort food.

Serves 4
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes

Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes
3 boneless chicken breasts
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp mild curry paste
4 tbsp red split lentils
1 1/4 cup chicken stock
1 400ml can coconut milk (shake well before opening)
1 cup frozen peas

1. Prep
Peel the sweet potatoes and cube.
Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.

2. Stovetop
Heat the oil and the curry paste in a large saucepan for 1-2 minutes.

Add the chicken, sweet potatoes, and lentils and stir, coating well with curry paste.
Pour in the chicken stock and coconut milk.
Bring to boil and set to simmer for 25 minutes.

3. Stovetop
Add the peas and simmer for 5 more minutes.

4. Serve with rice or noodles and enjoy!

[Adapted from BBC GoodFood]

No comments:

Post a Comment