Friday, January 8, 2010

Mulled Wine

We had mulled wine at Christmas but I waited to post this because I'd heard that you could buy "mulled wine spice" at the supermarket.

This is the recipe that I followed:

Ingredients:
3 tbsp demerara sugar (15 cubes)
1 cinnamon stick
1 orange, quartered
6 cloves
1 bottle of cheap red wine (with a salute to my sister Susan)

Stir it all together in a slow cooker and set to "low" for at least 2 hours. Delicious!

Strangely enough, it seems that mulled wine recipes are incredibly varied with red wine as the only common denominator.

I finally found a box of "Schwartz Mulled Wine Spice" and expected it to be a loose combination of spices. Instead, the box contained 6 sachets (like tea bags). Each sachet contained a mixture of coriander seed, allspice, and nutmeg [none of which I used in my recipe!]

The Schwartz recipe calls for:
2 sachets
red wine
orange juice
brown sugar
brandy (!)
sliced orange

And while that sounds pretty good, they offer this non-alcoholic alternative that I think I'll make this weekend: Warm cranberry juice (instead of wine) with one sachet. Serve with orange slices.
Doesn't that sound yummy?

No comments:

Post a Comment