Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grape-Nuts Bread

I use pearl barley for the mushroom soup and so, seeing it in the cupboard and craving some good homemade bread, I wondered if I could use it to make a loaf. Looking (unsuccessfully) for a barley bread recipe led me to something similar; it calls for Grape-Nuts cereal instead.

Now Grape-Nuts is a staple in our house. For the past several years (at least) I've had a sliced banana with grape-nuts and soy milk for breakfast. Every morning. So I'm sure to have plenty stockpiled and, in fact, brought some with me from the US just in case I couldn't find it here. But no worries. Both Booths and Morrisons stock it.

This bread is dense - almost like a brownie. Delicious! Next time I think I might add some chocolate chips to the batter.

Prep: 1 hour
Cook: 45 minutes
Yield: one 9x5 inch loaf
Note: I don't have a 9x5 inch bread pan so I used a 9 inch round tin instead. It looks like it should be used for sponge cake. The bottom detaches from the sides (so you can push it from the bottom and out, pushing the cake with it). I spooned the dough into the pan but didn't spread it flat.

Ingredients:
1 container (250g or 1 cup) buttermilk
3/4 cup Grape-Nuts
1 egg
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c self-raising flour
2 tbsp butter, melted

1. Prep
In a bowl, stir the Grape-Nuts into the buttermilk. Let sit in the fridge (or anywhere cold) for one hour.

2. Prep (when the hour is over)
Preheat the oven to 175°C.
Grease and flour the loaf pan.
In a small plastic cup, melt the butter in the microwave.
Add the egg, sugar, and salt to the buttermilk mixture, stirring well.
With large spoon, fold in butter and flour.
Spoon batter into the loaf pan.

3. Bake for about 45 minutes.

4. Enjoy!

[Adapted from allrecipes.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment