Sunday, December 13, 2009

Pecan Pie

I've been craving pecan pie since Thanksgiving. Having found pecans at Morrisons and finally realizing that golden syrup is a nice substitute for corn syrup, I was almost ready. Now I needed a pie plate - agonizingly difficult to find and I have no idea why because meat pies are so popular. I was stuck on trying to find a pie plate with slanted sides (making it easier to remove slices) and finally found a deep dish glass plate at a store called The Range. I'm very happy with it because the filling can easily spill as you place it in the oven - not a problem with this dish.

Please also note that I'm paying more attention to my oven setting - your oven may well vary!

Serves 6
Prep time: 10 minutes [add another 2 hours if you need to defrost the pastry first]
Cook time: 45 minutes
Note: I usually like a nice dollop of whipped cream on a nice warm slice of pie. This time we tried some crème fraîche since we had some left over from the salmon. I'm not sure I'd do that again - it just didn't taste right.

Ingredients:
1 roll of shortcrust (Jus-Rol pastry is perfect)
2 cups shelled pecans (300 grams)
2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup golden syrup (corn syrup in the US)
1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp treacle (molasses
 in the US)
2 tbsp melted butter

2 tbsp flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon brandy (optional)

1. Prep
Let the pastry sit at room temperature for 2 hours to defrost.

2. Prep
When the pastry is ready, preheat the oven to 180°C.
Roll out the shortcrust and place it into the pie plate, nicely finishing the edges.
Dump the pecans into the plate. [I don't bother to chop the pecans.]

3. Make the filling
In a large bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture over the pecans.

4. Oven
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place tin foil over the top of the pie to discourage burning the top edge of the pastry and the tops of the pecans on the pie surface. Return to oven and bake another 20-25 minutes.

5. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes (to set the filling). Serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

[Adapted from Simply Recipes]

No comments:

Post a Comment