Thursday, December 17, 2009

Greek Lamb with Orzo

Before I get started on this recipe, I wanted to say a bit about converting measurements. This is important to me because I'm not familiar with cooking with grams and liters. I'm much more comfortable with cups and pints and ounces and pounds. So occasionally, as with the following recipe, I need to convert liters to cups. The easiest way to do that is to use the Google calculator.
Simply go to Google and type "convert 1.2 liters to cups" [for example] and ...



Now, on to the recipe.

Serves 6
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours 15 minutes (in a slow cooker)
Note: The lamb was really quite fatty. What I should have done (and have advised below) is to spoon out as much fat as possible before adding the tomatoes.

Ingredients:
1 kg shoulder of lamb
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp olive oil
400 g can chopped tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock (I reduced the amount of liquid from the original recipe)
1 cup orzo (I used 'pasta a rizo' instead)

1. Prep
Cut the lamb into bite sized pieces and place into a crock pot [slow cooker].
Chop the shallots and onion and spread over the top of the lamb.
Sprinkle with cinnamon; add the cinnamon stick (whole); drizzle with olive oil. No need to stir.

2. Cover and cook on 'high' for 1 hour.

3. Remove fat (I would just spoon out as much as possible into an empty can to dispose of later).

4. Add tomatoes and chicken stock (I used 3 cups water / 2 cubes oxo) and stir well.

5. Cover and cook on 'low' for 2 hours.

6. Add the orzo (or pasta a rizo) and cook for another 15 minutes.

7. Serve with warm rolls and a salad. Enjoy!

[Adapted from BBC Good Food]

No comments:

Post a Comment