Friday, November 27, 2009

Hearty Mushroom Soup

I was never one for making soup. I think I tried a couple of times in the states, turkey soup maybe, made from the Thanksgiving turkey carcass, but it was watery and tasteless and I gave it up. In England though, soup seems to be just right. The World Peace Cafe in Ulverston has absolutely delicious soup and so I'm getting into trying again. This mushroom soup recipe is yummy.

Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
a couple of springs of rosemary, finely diced
500 g fresh mushrooms, chopped
vegetable stock (5 cups water and 2 chicken stock cubes)
1/4 cup marsala (or dry sherry but I used marsala)
2 tbsp tomato puree (one 70g container)
1/2 cup pearl barley
salt & pepper (our favorite ingredients)

1. Prep
Dice the onion, carrots, garlic, and rosemary. We have a mini chopping machine that I bought when we arrived and I just love it because it saves me lots of time.
Wash and do whatever you need to do to the mushrooms.

2. Stovetop
Using a big pyrex pot, heat up the olive oil.
Add the diced onion, carrots, garlic and rosemary and gently saute for 5 minutes.

3. Stovetop
Add the chopped mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes or so.

4. Put it all together
Pour the vegetable stock over the mushrooms; add the marsala, tomato puree, and barley.
Stir and season to taste.
Cook on low heat for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.

5. Serve with rolls and butter. Enjoy!

[Adapted from BBC Good Food]

No comments:

Post a Comment